Remote Learning Launch (Update: March 22, 2020)
The Petrides School
PRINCIPAL’S MESSAGE: Remote Learning Launch
Dear Petrides Families,
I’ve spent some time reviewing all of the information from the Chancellor’s Office regarding our transition to remote learning. Two words/phrases really stood out. We are surely in unchartered waters – none of us has every experienced anything like this before! And therefore, we will need to be flexible as we figure this out and get into our remote learning grove.
We recognize the challenges you will face at home as you may be working remotely and have several children attempting their schoolwork. We are coordinating our efforts as a staff, to ensure clear expectations for students and to create a “Hang-out” schedule that works for students (and families).
Please note that Google Classroom is available on many devices, including:
- Smart tvs
- Smart phones
Remote Learning Expectations of Students/Families
- Students should complete instructional activities assigned by teachers within the expected timelines.
- Students should participate in check-ins, discussions, and other communication mechanisms as expected by the teacher.
- Students should review teacher feedback and complete any follow-up activities as assigned by the teacher.
- Students and families should proactively notify their teacher or a school administrator school with any concerns about progress or additional support needed.
- Families should support students in being successful by establishing routines and habits that support their success in remote learning.
- Families should ensure that students are adhering to their school’s contract for appropriate behavior on web enabled devices.
Charter and Optimum cable will offer free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 students.
- To enroll in the free SPECTRUM broadband service or Internet Assist, call 1-844-488-8395
- To enroll in free OPTIMUM broadband service, call 1-866-200-9522
Check our website, regularly: Petridesschool.com
We will be sharing links of websites that will provide additional practice and enrichment activities for our students.
Regarding our transition to Remote Learning, please note the following:
- Student attendance will be documented by their participation in classwork and submission of assignments. Classroom teachers will also be conducting daily check-ins to see how students are feeling and confirm they understand the assignments for the day.
- School staff will be available throughout the school day to support our families. A full list of staff email addresses are available on our website: Petridesschool.com
- Elementary School teachers can be reached through the Remind app, and parents can contact Middle and High School teachers through Pupilpath, too.
- IMPORTANT: Regarding Parent Communication: Be aware that parents are unable to reply back to Google Classroom notification emails. Whenever a teachers posts anything on Google Classroom, students and parents will receive an email. Parents may want to respond to this email directly with questions or responses, but please DO NOT. The teacher will NEVER receive that email because it's not addressed to them. This is an issue we occasionally have in the high school. It's natural to think responding to an email that was sent would go back to the sender, but in all reality, Google Classroom is the sender, not the teacher. If you have questions about an assignment, please email the teacher directly; they will provide their Petrides domain email address.