Transition to Remote Learning (Update: March 18, 2020)
The Petrides School
PRINCIPAL’S MESSAGE: Transition to Remote Learning
Dear Petrides Families,
Although we’re not officially scheduled to start our Remote Learning until Monday, many of you and your children have been interacting with staff (teachers, assistant principals and support staff) today! We hope that you are finding the Google Classroom platform easy to navigate. Please communicate with your classroom teacher any difficulties you might be having. We will continue to monitor the situation and provide assistance, virtually, as needed.
Most of our Middle and High School students are accessing Google Classroom through the (free) Google Classroom app on their cell phones. For easier access of information, we encourage our Elementary School parents to download the free Google Classroom app from the App Store.
We do recognize that, especially for our younger students, completing classwork may easier on another device.
Please now that Google Classroom is available on many devices, including:
- Smart tvs
- Smart phones
Regarding Picking up materials:
We are inviting families who are interested in picking up their child’s belongings on THURSDAY, MARCH 19th, during the scheduled times listed below. In an effort to be mindful of social distancing and keeping everyone safe, we are asking one adult family to retrieve the materials
- PreK (Between 12 and 2 pm) - We suggest you park on Renwick Avenue (under the underpass) and proceed to the set of double doors leading into the K Basement (this entrance is on Milford Drive). Teachers and paras will be distributing belongings and materials at the door.
- Kindergarten (Between 12 and 2 pm) – specifically K020 at 12:00, K021 at 12:45 and K022 at 1:15 pm. Kindergarten families should enter through the Gatehouse, make the first right turn into the Staff Parking Lot, continue driving past the J Building and stop in front of K Building. Please do not get out of your car, teachers and para-professionals will be delivering materials right to you.
- Grades 1 to 4 – We’re asking that you follow the specific times for each grade in order to control the crowd – Grade 1 at 11:00 am, Grade 2 at 11:30 am, Grade 3 at 12:00 pm and Grade 4 at 12:30 pm. We will, of course, accommodate families with siblings. Weather permitting, we’ll be in the quad.
- Middle School – we don’t expect Middle School parents will need to pick up materials as all resources and materials are posted in the Google Classrooms. If you need a copy of the novels (The Outsiders, or Tuck Everlasting) please come to the B Main Entrance between 12 and 2 pm. Please contact Ms. Bouffrin at firstname.lastname@example.org if there is something else you need from the school building. Please know that Amazon’s audible.com is providing free access to novels for the next month.
- High School - we don’t expect High School parents will need to pick up materials as all resources and materials are posted in the Google Classrooms. Please contact Mr. Tabbitas at email@example.com with any questions or concerns or if there is something you need from the school building.
Middle and High School parents, please know that teachers will continue to update PupilPath, our electronic grading, so that you can monitor your child’s progress.
Remote teaching and learning (at this level) is new to all of us! Our goal is to ensure continuity of learning, student engagement and the prevention of learning loss. We will continue to be in touch throughout this time with information and updates.