Principal's Weekly Message
The Petrides School
PRINCIPAL’S WEEKLY MESSAGE
Dear Petrides Parents,
As always, the health and safety of our students is our main concern. We will continue to follow the DOE policies and protocols in regards to Covid-19 as we navigate through this challenging time. The Chancellor’s Office continues to monitor the situation hourly and will provide updates as needed. You can access the latest information at schools.nyc.gov.
Please be advised that our school is currently open and we are welcoming students. We do know however that you may have concerns and will need to make the best decision for your family.
Note the following regarding student ATTENDANCE:
Student absences for the following reasons will be specially coded and will be considered excused for NY State reporting and will appear as “E” on the students’ attendance record.
- Students are staying home with flu-like symptoms of respiratory illness that may indicate COVID-19, such as fever, cough, or shortness of breath.
- Students have returned from COVID-19 affected areas and are self-quarantined.
- Students are absent due to exposure from COVID-19 and possess a doctor’s note
- Families/caregivers choose to keep students home in an effort to reduce their child’s or family member's risk to COVID-19 exposure.
Please note the following reminders:
- For current 4th and 7th graders, this year’s attendance will not be used as a screen for admissions.
- However, all absences, including both excused and unexcused, appear on students records.
Please email your child’s assistant principal or call the school to report a Covid-19 absence:
Ms. Ponzi, Elementary School – email@example.com
Ms. Souffrin, Middle School – firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Tabbitas, High School – email@example.com
Call: (718) 815-0186
REMOTE LEARNING RESOURCES:
Our Middle and High School students (grades 5 through 12) have access to PupilPath (electronic gradebook), with many of their classroom assignments already completed and submitted (through their Petrides School domain) Google Classroom. Our secondary teachers will continue to post current assignments and learning resources in these systems for students to access remotely.
For these and other grade levels and subject areas, (hard copy) learning packets are also being created and will be available at your request.
We also suggest the following websites, which provide resources for at home learning:
- https://www.schools.nyc.gov/learning/learn-at-home - NYC DOE website providing supplementary learning opportunities for students in the event that students may need to be home from school. This (free) site includes activities and resources for students in grades Pre K through high school.
- Raz-kids.com – This program was purchased and is available for our Early Childhood students in grades K through 2. (Students were issued log-in information.)
- Newsela.com – The website provides complex text articles on a variety of topics.
- Khanacademy.org – This free website offers expert-created content and resources for every course and grade level.
- Zearn.com – will allow our Elementary School students to practice Math skills; log-in information for individual students was issued early this school year. (Contact your child’s teacher if you need this info.)
- Starfall.com – is a free site that will allow our Early Childhood and Elementary School students practice literacy skills
Regarding PSAL (Public School Athletic League) Activities:
Yesterday, Mayor de Blasio announced that in response to the evolving coronavirus situation, and in line with recent city guidance and announcements, all Public Schools Athletic League (PSAL) activities, including games, practices, try-outs and special events are suspended, effective immediately. We will update you with more information as it becomes available from our partners at the Office of School Health.
Also know, that with an abundance of caution, the DOE is cancelling (or finding new solutions for) all non-instructional activities, including sports, assemblies, plays and PTA meetings. All international and domestic travel/trips has been cancelled and all field trips have been suspended at this time.
Please note that our March 18th PTA General Membership meeting is cancelled. We are looking for other options, including live-streaming the April meeting.
Feel free to reach out with any questions or concerns.