The Michael J. Petrides High School
National Honor Society
Joanne Buckheit, Principal
Membership in The Michael J. Petrides National Honor Society is a great honor bestowed upon high school students. Selection for membership is conducted by a Faculty Council and is based on outstanding scholarship, leadership, service, character, and citizenship. Once selected, members have the responsibility to continue to demonstrate these qualities.
To be eligible for membership each candidate must complete a NHS application and fulfill the following requirements:
* The candidate must be a member of the Class of 2019, 2020 or 2021 (current year freshman, sophomores and juniors).
* The candidate must have and maintain a cumulative scholastic average of at least 90 percent.
* The candidate must demonstrate and maintain service, which is defined by “the voluntary contributions made by a student to the school or community, done without compensation and with a positive courteous, and enthusiastic spirit.”
* The candidate must demonstrate and maintain leadership qualities, one who “demonstrates initiative in promoting school activities, inspires positive behavior in others, and is willing to uphold scholarship and maintain a loyal school attitude.”
* The candidate must hold and maintain good character, one who “upholds principles of morality and ethics, is cooperative, demonstrates high standards of honesty and reliability, shows courtesy, concern, and respect for others, and generally maintains a good and clean lifestyle.”
* The candidate must demonstrate and maintain good citizenship, one who “understands the importance of civic involvement, has a high regard for freedom, justice, and democracy, and demonstrates mature participation and responsibility through involvement with such activities as scouting, community organizations, and school clubs.”
* The candidate must complete 15 hours of tutoring (in school) and 15 hours of Petrides non-affiliated-community service before November 7, 2018. (Documented forms required)
* The candidate must write a 350-word essay in which they illustrate how they have demonstrated the qualities of leadership and character and why they want to obtain membership in the society.
* The candidate must obtain the signatures of two teachers who can testify to their good character.
* All candidates must pay dues ($40) each year they are an active member
* If selected to the National Honor Society, inductees must attend all meetings.
* The candidate’s official high school transcript will be obtained from Ms. Troost in order to validate eligibility. Please do not apply if you are below GPA of 90%.
Applications and forms for membership in the M. J. Petrides High School National Honor Society are available from Ms. Salem in Room B57 or NHS Application
Completed applications and forms are due Thursday, November 8, 2018. Late applications will not be considered.